Tuesday, 16 December 2008
Again, I think by this point in the sign project I’d realised the point of having an image kit and being able to reuse parts of it and move it around to make new images. This is the poster I made for the headline “RAT IN THE SKULL”. I made five roughs for it, all quite similar, as I was intent on using the paper covers from plugs as the skull with the rat attempting an escape somehow from its jaws. The teeth of the skull are all square beads and the rat himself is a mixture of wool, raffia and buttons. I like this image; it reminds me of children’s books from when I was younger. There is still room for improvement on it though! I think the eye sockets and the nose could be more defined and neater and the teeth all the same colour.
I really enjoyed this part of the sign project as I’d finally got to grips with the image kit and was beginning to get used to using objects to make images. I chose the headline “CHILDREN TOO FAT TO FIT SCHOOLCHAIRS” to base my images around, mainly because it’s a simple headline that gets straight to the point. I had a big collection of buttons at home and decided to make the children out of them for my roughs. I think it was within this part of the project that I realised the advantages of making roughs, even if they are simple line drawings, and being able to choose from lots of ideas to make sure the final ones are the best. When it came to making the final image, I added some gold buttons and coloured the children in to make it look like they were wearing some kind of school uniform.